Meeting Date: February 8, 2009
Meeting Location: Bill Library, Ledyard, CT
Meeting Time: 7:36 pm
Read and accepted as read. (2)
Read and accepted as read. (0)
1) Should we move the old coupler stock (4 packs)?
1) Springfield 2009 – Went well, overall. Good setup, with no connector issues. Radios performed well (note that they also work throughout the building!) AND – Reloading was completed by 8 PM! Operations – Glenn Siter was excellent as dispatcher. There were compliments from many on all parts of the layout!
[ Clark noted from conversations with the South Shore Club that they successfully sell large volumes of club cars - 500 in six months or so. There followed some discussion on methods by which we could accomplish similar results. A car sales marketer would be needed. ]
A problem in operations WAS noted – There appears to be considerable arcing on crossovers due to metal wheels and also power routing of switches (removal of throw springs). Use of lacquer on the frogs in crossings may relieve the problem.
Power Supplies – There was an overload/failure of one of the Control Master 20s, possibly aided and abetted by the arcing. A design development ‘team’ has been formed to develop a more robust version of the existing 12V power supplies used on the modules, to build a new Control Station with built-in backup. A motion was made and seconded to expend a not to exceed cost of $300—to construct the new Control Station. 10 for, (1) abstention. Motion was passed. Bob MacGregor noted that the G-Scalers use a selectable voltage Crestline (?) that provides up to 20 amps at 12V.
It was also noted that there were many interruptions in operations due to unplanned ‘track’ maintenance. Training is needed on insulated/rail joiner locations and connector tracks. It was identified that one club prepares a box of three sizes of connector tracks 5 7/8”, 6” 6 1/8” for the shows, including fresh rail joiners. John Waller has also developed an improved insulated connector track design that could be used.
Lastly, it was also noted that there were some ‘humping’ issues, and not just in the yards!
2) Willimantic – Joe Sokol is expected to confirm that a larger HO layout will be OK.
3) NMRA 2009 – Lodging (Sheraton Hotel currently only one listed). No new word from Bill Evans on the club submittal [ 52 X 54 “L” ]
4) Friendship School – April 10 – 17; we have agreed to do this. Will try to arrange the modules similarly to the Convention arrangement. Clark will PUSH the advertising. Setup should be on Saturday the 11th, with takedown on the 18th.
1) Membership for Juniors – A motion to charge $10 for Junior members was made, seconded and approved.
2) The Larry Layout – Oval – Larry has a defect list.
3) Bob A. identified the possibility of having Club Pins made up for sale to members and the public. Clark made a motion to have 300 I” pins produced for $258 (setup and production) with a selling price to the public of $4 and $3 to members; discussion; Seconded - 9 for. 1 against (1). Motion was passed.
Meeting Adjourned at 9:30 pm.Respectably submitted by Bob Applegate, Secretary